“Writing in the first person helps to make clear the author's role in constructing rather than discovering the story/knowledge.”
― Gayle Letherby, Feminist Research in Theory and Practice
Academic assignment writing barely involves the 1st person. Teachers prefer when students write their narrative works in the 3rd person. They believe the research paper does not look serious, credible, and competent if it includes the personal points of the author along with the naked facts. Prepare a supporting evidence each time your essay claims something. Still, the young author should practice writing assignments on the creative topics if he wants to become a world-known author.
The article provides the basic principles of the academic assignment writing; if you want to get professional help with some of your homework tasks, contact essay writing service #1 in the US and UK! Hire a professional writer to get rid of any disturbing writing assignment.
Learn how to handle a homework/exam essay in simple ways.
Assignment Writing: Define the Possible Genres
People who enter the 1-year seminar in writing should obtain tasks on different types of writing:
- Compare & Contrast
- Cause & Effect
- Character Analysis
- Book Report
- Movie Review
- Research Paper
These writing assignments help to develop several necessary skills: reading & comprehension and powerful research skills. It is impossible to imagine the process of writing assignments without an in-depth research on the topic. The world’s greatest authors relied on the information shared by the distinguished scientists to make their stories more realistic.
‘I don’t need to know everything; I just need to know where to find it.’
(attrib. various, including Sophonisisba Breckinridge and Albert Einstein)
The more you read, the deeper knowledge of various subjects you obtain.
Another method to categorize various types of assignment writing is dividing this activity into informal & formal (free & limited, creative & straightforward, 1st person & 3rd person, etc.) These are the opposite sides of one coin. Teachers underestimate the role of informal writing; it can spread student’s horizons, enrich imagination, and allow to share memories, personal feelings, and emotions on the piece of paper. Psychologists recommend practicing anonymous creative writing assignments during the English Language & Literature classes.
Formal writing is restricted. It is reader-based, and students do not find this homework activity exciting or inspiring. The difference between formal & informal approaches can be seen here.
Formal writing consists of the in-class/homework essay writing assignments, literature reviews, and exams students take during every term’s/year’s end.
6 Principles of Writing Assignments at the Examination
Try to follow the basic rules of examination to behave in the way your teacher expects:
- Read the main test question twice to follow the suggested topic and provide a complete answer;
- Analyze the keywords/key phrases in the offered question. Consider the difference in similar words. Summarizing the text is different from identifying the main problem;
- Develop a short essay outline to list the main arguments you plan to cover to provide the most detailed response to the question;
- Work on a thesis statement. It must reply to the main question with the help of keywords you should underline in the instructions;
- The exams are limited in time. Try to complete the writing task from the initial attempt. During the examination, there will be no time to review, proofread, & edit the paper;
- Fix the mistakes you see with the naked eye to prevent failing the task because of the severe grammar/spelling/punctuation errors.
What can we say about the common examination instructions? The examination questions must be clear and concise so that the students understand everything; they must cover things the teacher has recalled and explained in class. Determine the test’s goals:
- Proving the competence of the teacher by showing the students have absorbed the necessary, relevant knowledge.
- Showing the students are able to develop a convincing set of arguments/main points based on the lessons learned.
- Highlighting how the students critically analyze and implement the ideas absorbed from the research and study met
We have decided on the goals of the exam assignments. It is time to move to the structure of the examination assignment writing on any topic.
Read useful tips for students to ace the test
Write Your Essay Following the Accepted College Structure
- Develop the assignment’s introduction with the powerful hook and go on developing the opening paragraph: Do not overwrite the hook sentences in the assignment limited by time! The next sentence must contain a thesis statement. Summarize the content of your writing assignment (we recommend leaving this part to the end once you complete the rest of the essay not to lose the logical flow). It is not enough to rewrite the question. Provide a full answer to the set question including many details & vivid examples.
- Work on the essay’s body: Develop every paragraph one-by-one following the outline, paying attention to the logical flow, making the information coherent, and developing the storyline adequately. Write a thesis based on the solid generalizations and specified, related details. Do not rewrite the same phrases. Write down the subjective view or share emotions if the instructions tell to do it; focus on writing whatever is objective information – based on 100% proved facts, statistics, & figures. Once you write the words shared by other writers, cite them properly in the format mentioned by the instructor. Prepare a Bibliography in the chosen academic writing style.
- The last thing is to write an effective, memorable conclusion. Stick to the tone you have chosen for your entire writing assignment; conclude the whole piece by predicting further story development. Rewrite the thesis using the new information. Point to the wider implications to make the essay more interesting and saturated.
Finished With Your Writing?
Ready? Oh, calm down and stop for a minute. You should not run to the instructor with the outstretched hand as the examination mentor will not return your paper if you recall something to fix. It is recommended to write a bit less to have some time for proofreading & editing. Try to write without grammar, spelling, punctuation, formatting, and logical mistakes from the beginning. It is not always possible to notice every error when you write.
In case you did not get information on creative writing assignments you were searching for, contact professional academic writers. These writers have been accomplishing essays since the early 2000s. Order business, technical, or creative writing assignments to become the best student or young writer in your community!