The cold war is a major event that involved American and Russian allies as conflicting sides, led to different actions, created new forces, and changed the international order. This historical period ended not so many years ago. Writing the cold war essay is a challenge to students, especially if they aren’t familiar with communism, capitalism, a threat or nuclear weapons, and other related historical information, but it’s an important part of earning high grades. Many details go into ensuring that such essays are free from errors. This detailed guide can help you figure out what to write.
The scope of your work
To explore excellent topics, determine whether the cold war was inevitable based on historians’ opinions. Discuss possible events that could have a direct impact on it. Some of the areas to write about in your cold war essay within a specific number of words and pages include:
- Cold war leaders;
- Mutual rivalry of USSR and the USA;
- Cold war ideology;
- Global powers;
- How this superpower race began;
- Massive ideological propaganda;
- Future consequences;
- Forming new governments in Europe, Middle East, Asia, etc.
Cold war participants
Consider all the alliances and each country included in one of the most intriguing wars in the international arena. Identify the roles of these parties in this crisis and fueling conflicts. Are there any prominent names that refer to the cold war? Think about such powerful politicians as Stalin, president Truman, Ronald Reagan, Gorbachev, and Churchill because each one was a strong leader who fought in this war.
For how long did the cold war take place?
It’s a significant event that caused a revolution and resulted in democratic expansion and it has lasted for many decades, historians recorded it in detail. Elaborate on the period it has lasted in your cold war essay and list the activities that could lead to its prolongation.
What are the events that started the cold war?
There were certain circumstances that caused the cold war to erupt, and it’s worth focusing on the origins of allied attacks. Who were early masterminds behind these large-scale events? What were their interests? State main cold war reasons in your academic paper and use some space to talk about causes that contributed to a rise of the force that brought up huge tension between Americans and communist people. Analyze what each side believed in and wanted to achieve.
What are cold war effects?
Although there wasn’t any significant bloodshed held because of this conflict, it resulted in particular negative and positive effects. Was there any important social doctrine or policy? Research relevant diplomatic negotiations, hot debates, and treaty propositions. Determine whether each nation came to a consensus and if it’s valid to date while giving clear answers in your cold war essay.
What about a leadership?
There were some significant individuals who fueled the cold war and steered it, so try to describe their personal traits, motives, and position. Determine if they were silent or visible parties. Find and evaluate information about leaders who managed to defect from their sides to form an alliance with opposing parties.
Who won the cold war?
When the war starts, there's always a weak side that has to plan defense from the attack and gives up and a winner who gets full control over benefits as a result. Write about the terms of the pact if you think that cold war participants succeeded to reach a consensus. Determine what they felt about the outcomes of this competition.
The system of writing the best cold war essay
Writing your cold war essay should be a systematic process that involves:
- An engaging introductory paragraph should explain your topic, state your thesis, and contain a catchy hook to attract readers quickly;
- The main body needs to support your central argument with enough evidence;
- A conclusory section will summarize all of your major ideas, restate a thesis, and include a call to action.
Use this simple and effective approach to secure high grades. Ensure that you pick an interesting and original cold war topic. There are many suggestions to choose from due to the fact that this conflict has lasted so long and it had a number of social, political, economic, and cultural impacts that divided the world. The cold war is a very broad subject to focus on. Check a list of helpful ideas below.
21 Excellent Cold War Topic Ideas
- Connections between the Vietnam war and the cold war;
- The policies of elected soviets that caused this conflict to start;
- The Berlin wall that resulted in the division of Germany;
- How the cold war still affects people in North Korea;
- The Warsaw pact is a military union of several European communist nations: how it was formed in response to the entry of West Germany into NATO;
- The actions that made the US government feel a threat;
- Explain the Domino theory in your cold war essay;
- The role of this conflict in the Korean war;
- The impact of the Cuban missile crisis in the cold war;
- Explore the Red Fear causes and effects;
- Question the nuclear bombing of Japan called an international disaster and destruction of Nagasaki and Hiroshima;
- The position of France in this conflict;
- The reunification of Germany as an effective aid to stop the cold war, how the Berlin wall was destructed;
- Defend your opinion about which army started this war;
- State if you agree that Reagan deserves a credit for engineering its end;
- The most important event of the cold war;
- Reasons why it was a major driving factor to set the growth of space and nuclear arms races;
- Determine if any actions had an impact on the existing situation in the Middle East;
- The effect of the cold war on pop culture;
- Compare the capitalist economy and communist economy during the cold war;
- Identify the nations that it impacted negatively.
Use the above-mentioned suggestions to brainstorm your own ideas. Write them down a few times to choose the best topic. If you face hardships when completing this academic assignment, look at a perfect sample below because it will guide you.
A helpful cold war essay example
The cold war is an influential event in human history because this ideologically-driven conflict of powerful states had a potential to destroy humanity. It didn’t turn into proxy military conflicts. There is an opinion that the collapse of the Soviet Union means that America won this war, but it has opponents. The economy suffered from the buildup of armed foreign forces. There were also negative effects on democracy and international security.
I think that no one won this war because it was both about who had nuclear weapons and a showdown between communism and capitalism. It ended in 1989 after a regime change in the Soviet Union. There were different changes that led to the spread of democracy throughout former communist nations, and they often become the main subject of debates. There are many theories that surround the collapse of this country.
- A notion that the US equipped its military and its nuclear weaponry preponderance created a possibility of mutual destruction;
- An idea that excellence in the USSR leadership was a cause of its collapse;
- Communism has certain inherited flaws and each communist nation will have its inevitable end.
Some scholars think that the relative economies of both countries played important roles in ending the war, and many economists claim that destruction is an inevitable density of any communist society. Communism is effective in small countries that have strong homogeneity. The USSR was the largest country in the world and people started expanding belief systems and they wanted innovative leadership.
No one won the cold war because it was an expensive and long political rivalry fueled by exaggerated and unreal expectations and intentions. It overstrained the economic and other resources of both sides. It left them with the legacy of heavy social, financial, and political issues that the US and Russia had to solve.
Writing the best essay isn’t an easy task because this subject is complex and requires your careful analysis. What if you aren’t sure about your skills? If you can’t complete this academic assignment for any reason, take advantage of the expert online assistance of our qualified writers. We offer original and high-quality services to struggling students, and all you need to have to access them is a reliable Internet connection. Save your precious time and energy. Contact our responsive customer support managers to get answers.